Sunday 8 June 2014

Fun run, almond butter balls and stir-fry

Good morning!

This morning doesn't exactly feel like summer. It's all grey, windy and blah outside. So I figured I would start the day with a cozy candlelit breakfast! Why not! 


I had peppermint tea, cantaloupe and oatmeal loaded with nuts, seeds and dried fruit. 

I was starving last night after a busy day that started with a local fun run. The course was about 5.4 miles, and since I am in the early stages of training for a marathon, I considered it my long run for the week. 

I decided to try a stir fry recipe from Oh She Glows. Hers was "light on the noodles", but since I was so hungry, I decided to double the noodles! In hindsight, I should have just stuck to the original proportions - all these soba noodles took away from the veggie deliciousness. It was a great recipe though, and I would make it again with some adjustments:
- I would use honey instead of granulated sugar
- I added yellow pepper and mushrooms, which worked really well, but I would use more carrot and less mushroom next time
- Stick to the "light on the noodles" part :)



And ta-da, I have lunches for the week! (And I am obsessed with Mason jars)


A couple of hours after dinner, I was craving some almond butter balls in a major way! I made them for the first time last weekend for a friend's baby shower and it was love at first bite. I found a recipe for peanut butter balls on that same blog (Oh She Glows) and really wanted to try it, but I was almost out of peanut butter. I did, however, have a giant jar of almond butter that we got from Costco in Vacouver a few weeks ago. Instead of rice crisp cereal, I used a crushed up rice cake - worked like a charm! I'm obsessed with these!

Here is the (modified) recipe:

- 1 cup almond butter (I used all-natural roasted almond butter with no salt or sugar added)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp coconut flour for desired consistency
- pinch of salt
- 1 crushed up rice cake
- 3/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (I was out of dark)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil


Mix almond butter with maple syrup. Add coconut flour, one tbsp at a time, until mixture is thick enough. Add salt and rice cake crumbs. Form balls (about 20).
Stick in the freezer with you melt chocolate chips with coconut oil over low heat. When chocolate is melted, take the balls out of he freezer and roll them around, one by one, in chocolate with a fork. 
Freeze for about 25-30 minutes. 

I had a couple with a cup of vanilla roibos tea and it was heavenly. 


Did I mention that I am obsessed with Mason jars?

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment