Sunday 22 June 2014

How green is your pasta?

Good morning!

I present to you two of my new loves today: avocado pasta and homemade pesto.

I was a little skeptical of a recipe that basically called for guacamole mixed into noodles. So, being the nice wife that I am, I tried it while the husband was out of town. I loved it! So fast and easy to make, satisfying, healthy and creamy. And, because I am a nice wife (as established previously), I made it again for The Husband - this recipe also got his stamp of approval.



















You can find the original recipe here.
I used spinach pasta, because I just really like green stuff.

............................

I had never made pesto before. The Husband came back from the store with 3 packs of gnocchi the other day (also called potato-dumplings). I love them simply served with pesto. Since we had no pesto but a lot of basil, I decided to give it a shot!
I used a combination of several recipes, but pesto is very forgiving so there is definitely room to play around with ingredients and proportions:

- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- about 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste

In a food processor, combine herbs, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan until smooth. Add olive oil in a steady stream while still processing (you may have to scrape down the sides a few times) until desired consistency is achieved. You may choose to add more or less olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Done!



















Next time we have a gnocchi craving, I will attempt to make my own.


I wish you all a happy and relaxing Sunday!


1 comment: