Monday 7 July 2014

Apple, Rum and Chocolate Bundt Cake

Cake, cake, cake, cake.



















One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is cake. I love making cake, and I love eating cake.

On Saturday night, we were invited for dinner at a couple of friends', and I had volunteered to make dessert. Actually, I pretty much said "You don't have a choice - I'm making dessert, and too bad if you were planning on making it".
I was having a lazy Saturday, so I decided to find a cake recipe that would call for ingredients that I had in my fridge/pantry (apples, dark spiced rum, and chocolate chips). And then I remembered my awesome silicon Bundt Cake Pan, which I had never used. Which meant finding a Bundt cake recipe that included apples, rum, and chocolate chips.
I found a couple, but ended up straying so far from the original recipes, that I will call this one my own :)

The cake turned out perfectly - I am glad I wrote down ingredients and quantities as I went!

This is my happy place, making a huge mess in the kitchen!



















Apple Bundt Cake with Rum and Chocolate Chips:

For the cake:

- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, quartered and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips

For the glaze: 

- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum
- 1 cup icing sugar

Making the cake: 

Preheat oven to 325F and lightly grease Bundt cake pan.
In one bowl, mix all-purpose flour + whole wheat flour + baking soda + baking powder + salt + cinnamon + brown sugar.
In another bowl, whisk together eggs + rum + applesauce + butter (the mixture may look a bit curdly - that's ok!)
Combine wet + dry ingredients ***DO NOT OVER MIX***, then fold apples and chocolate chips into the batter.
Pour into pan, and bake for about 1h10 -1h15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted close to the centre comes out clean.

Making the glaze: 

When the cake is just out of the oven, melt butter on a pot over low heat. Stir in buttermilk, rum and icing sugar. Turn heat to high, and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
Pour over the cake while still in the pan. Move the pan around to make sure the glaze finds its way down the sides and the middle of the cake.
Let stand for an hour.

Turn cake over onto a wire rack and let cool completely.



















...............

Take care, dudes and dudettes!









No comments:

Post a Comment