Friday 18 July 2014

Cooking failures, more camping, and delicious hummus

Good to see you, it's been a little while...

Guess why? More camping! The Husband's days off and mine rarely line up, so when they do, we have to take advantage of it.

Coziest camping ever!

Nothing screams vacation like ice-cream

.........................

Lately, when it comes to cooking, I had been on a roll, my experiments successful and delicious. I was due for a FAILURE. Or a couple.

I attempted a vegan "quiche" the other day. Most recipes call for tofu, but tofu might just be the only kind of food that I do not like! So, full of confidence from my recent experiments, I thought "no problem, I'll just tackle a vegan French Onion tart, replacing your traditional quiche filling with a mixture made of processed cauliflower and chickpeas". Well, kids, do not try this at home. The poor Husband struggled to eat the thing, and although I seemed to have an easier time of it, I would never make it again! Needless to say, you guys are NOT getting this recipe.

It looked good...looks can be deceiving. 

Then I made a double batch of my gluten free crackers, this time with sundried tomatoes and basil. They tasted great, but I had a few hiccups in the process!

Oops!


















Anyway, one successful venture was a batch of home-made hummus. So easy, so much cheaper than store-bought, and just as delicious!

Roasted Garlic Hummus: 

- 4 cloves roasted garlic (25mins at 350F, in foil and drizzled with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice of a whole lemon
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste

















In a food processor, process roasted garlic with lemon juice and tahini first. When smooth, add chickpeas, cumin and olive oil. Process for a minute or two, then add the water, vinegar, salt and pepper, and then process some more!

Refrigerate before serving. 

......................

When we came back from camping, we were craving something fresh...and it doesn't get much fresher than a salad with lettuce from our garden! So good.


























Good night everyone! All this sun and fresh air has us exhausted! I wish you a happy and healthy weekend (tomorrow is my Monday). 




No comments:

Post a Comment